500 results found
Buffalo Bill(Encyclopedia)Buffalo Bill, 1846–1917, American plainsman, scout, and showman, b. near Davenport, Iowa. His real name was William Frederick Cody. His family moved (1854) to Kansas, and after the death of his fath...
Buffalo(Encyclopedia)Buffalo, city (1990 pop. 328,123), seat of Erie co., W N.Y., on Lake Erie and the Niagara and Buffalo rivers; inc. 1832. With more than 37 mi (60 km) of waterfront, it is a major commercial and indust...
buffalo(Encyclopedia)buffalo, name commonly applied to the American bison but correctly restricted to certain related African and Asian mammals of the cattle family. The water buffalo, or Indian buffalo, Bubalus bubalis, ...
Hickok, Wild Bill(Encyclopedia)Hickok, Wild Bill, 1837–76, American frontier marshal, b. Troy Grove, near Ottawa, Ill., as James Butler Hickok. He took part in the Kansas struggle preceding the Civil War, was a driver of the Butt...
Cody(Encyclopedia)Cody k´d [key], city (1990 pop. 7,897), seat of Park co., NW Wyo., on the Shoshone River in a sheep, cattle, and irrigated farm area; founded and inc. 1901 by William F. Cody (Buffalo Bill). It i...
Cody, William Frederick(Encyclopedia)Cody, William Frederick: see Buffalo Bill.
buffalo berry(Encyclopedia)buffalo berry: see oleaster.
buffalo bur(Encyclopedia)buffalo bur: see nightshade.
Buffalo City(Encyclopedia)Buffalo City, metropolitan municipality (2011 pop. 755,200), Eastern Cape prov., South Africa, on the Indian Ocean. East London is the municipal seat; other communities include Mdantsane, Khambashe, D...
buffalo clover(Encyclopedia)buffalo clover: see lupine.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-