4 results found
Saramago, José(Encyclopedia)Saramago, José zhooz´ särämä´goo [key], 1922–2010, Portuguese novelist and short-story writer. He became a member of the Communist party in 1969 and was a staunch atheist and a strong ...
Nobel Prizes(Encyclopedia)Nobel PrizesYearPeaceChemistryPhysicsPhysiology or MedicineLiterature1901J. H. DunantFrédéric PassyJ. H. van't HoffW. C. RoentgenE. A. von BehringR. F. A. Sully-Prudhomme1902Élie DucommunC. A. Goba...
Antunes, António Lobo(Encyclopedia)Antunes, António Lobo, 1942–, Portuguese novelist. Trained as a physician, he was a field hospital doctor in Angola in the 1960s and later worked in a children's cancer hospital; both experiences s...
Portuguese literature(Encyclopedia)Portuguese literature, writings in Portuguese. The literature of Brazil is considered separately (see Brazilian literature). Early Works Literature in the Portuguese language first emerged in lyric po...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-