7 results found
Jugurtha(Encyclopedia)Jugurtha joogûr´th [key], c.156–104 BC, king of Numidia, a grandson of Masinissa. On the death of Micipsa (118 BC), the royal power devolved upon his two sons and upon his adopted son Jugurtha...
Marius, Caius(Encyclopedia)Marius, Caius mâr´s [key], c.157 BC–86 BC, Roman general. A plebeian, he became tribune (119 BC) and praetor (115 BC) and was seven times consul. He served under Scipio Africanus Minor at Numa...
Mauretania(Encyclopedia)Mauretania môrt´n [key], ancient district of Africa in Roman times. In a vague sense it meant only the land of the Moors and lay W of Numidia, but more specifically it usually included mos...
Numidia(Encyclopedia)Numidia noomd´ [key], ancient country of NW Africa, very roughly the modern Algeria. It was part of the Carthaginian empire until Masinissa, ruler of E Numidia, allied himself (c.206 BC) with...
Metellus(Encyclopedia)Metellus mtl´s [key], ancient Roman family of the plebeian gens Caecilia. Lucius Caecilius Metellus, d. c.221 BC, consul (251 BC), fought in the First Punic War. He was pontifex maximus (from 2...
Algeria(Encyclopedia)Algeria ljr´ [key], Arab. Al Djazair, Fr. Algérie, officially People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, republic (2015 est. pop. 39,872,000), 919,590 sq mi (2,381,741 sq km), NW Africa, borde...
Rome(Encyclopedia)Rome, Ital. Roma, city (1991 pop. 2,775,250), capital of Italy and see of the pope, whose residence, Vatican City, is a sovereign state within the city of Rome. Rome is also the capital of Latium, a r...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-