7 results found
Mahfouz, Naguib(Encyclopedia)Mahfouz, Naguib ngb´ mäkhfoos´ [key], 1911–2006, Egyptian novelist and short-story writer, b. Cairo. After his graduation (1934) from Cairo Univ., he worked in various government ministries...
Ghitani, Gamal al-(Encyclopedia)Ghitani, Gamal al-, 1945–2015, Egyptian novelist and journalist. He studied Oriental carpet design and apprenticed as a carpet maker before turning to journalism. A strong supporter of human rights,...
Farouk(Encyclopedia)Farouk färook´ [key], 1920–65, king of Egypt (1936–52), son and successor of Fuad I. After a short regency he acceded (1937) to the throne. A constitutional monarch, Farouk was frequently at o...
Nasser, Gamal Abdal(Encyclopedia)Nasser, Gamal Abdal gmäl´ b´dl nä´sr [key], 1918–70, Egyptian army officer and political leader, first president of the republic of Egypt (1956–70). A revolutionary since youth, he wa...
Arabic literature(Encyclopedia)Arabic literature, literary works written in the Arabic language. The great body of Arabic literature includes works by Arabic speaking Turks, Persians, Syrians, Egyptians, Indians, Jews, and other Af...
Nobel Prizes(Encyclopedia)Nobel PrizesYearPeaceChemistryPhysicsPhysiology or MedicineLiterature1901J. H. DunantFrédéric PassyJ. H. van't HoffW. C. RoentgenE. A. von BehringR. F. A. Sully-Prudhomme1902Élie DucommunC. A. Goba...
Egypt(Encyclopedia)Egypt ´jpt [key], Arab. Misr, biblical Mizraim, officially Arab Republic of Egypt, republic (2015 est. pop. 93,778,000), 386,659 sq mi (1,001,449 sq km), NE Africa and SW Asia. It borders on the ...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-