4 results found
Radama I(Encyclopedia)Radama I rädä´m [key], c.1793–1828, founder of the kingdom of Madagascar. He succeeded (1810) his father, Andrianimpoinimerina, as king of Merina, a small kingdom on the central plateau of the ...
Toamasina(Encyclopedia)Toamasina tm´sn [key], formerly Tamatavetämätäv´ [key], city (1993 pop. 127,441), NE Madagascar. Situated on the Indian Ocean, it is the nation's chief port and is connected by rail wit...
Antananarivo(Encyclopedia)Antananarivo äntänänär´v [key] or Tananarivetänänärv´ [key], city (1993 pop. 675,669), capital of Madagascar. Antananarivo is Madagascar's largest city and is its administrative, commun...
Madagascar(Encyclopedia)Madagascar mdgs´cär [key], officially Republic of Madagascar, republic (2015 est. pop. 24,234,000), 226,658 sq mi (587,045 sq km), in the Indian Ocean, separated from E Africa by the Mozambi...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-