6 results found
Undset, Sigrid(Encyclopedia)Undset, Sigrid s´grd oon´st [key], 1882–1949, Norwegian novelist. Poverty forced Undset to do secretarial work for a time (1898–1908). Her early novels of contemporary life, among them J...
Kalundborg(Encyclopedia)Kalundborg kä´loonbôr [key], city (1992 pop. 15,304), Vestsjælland co., central Denmark, a port on the Kalundborg Fjord, an arm of the Store Bælt. It is a commercial, industrial, and communicat...
Norwegian literature(Encyclopedia)Norwegian literature, early flourished as Old Norse literature. In 1380, Norway was united with Denmark, and Danish culture began a long dominance in Norway; Norwegian culture sank to its nadir in the...
Catherine of Siena, Saint(Encyclopedia)Catherine of Siena, Saint sn´ [key], 1347–80, Italian mystic and diplomat, a member of the third order of the Dominicans, Doctor of the Church. The daughter of Giacomo Benincasa, a Sienese dy...
novel(Encyclopedia)novel, in modern literary usage, a sustained work of prose fiction a volume or more in length. It is distinguished from the short story and the fictional sketch, which are necessarily brief. Although ...
Nobel Prizes(Encyclopedia)Nobel PrizesYearPeaceChemistryPhysicsPhysiology or MedicineLiterature1901J. H. DunantFrédéric PassyJ. H. van't HoffW. C. RoentgenE. A. von BehringR. F. A. Sully-Prudhomme1902Élie DucommunC. A. Goba...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-