7 results found
Sitwell(Encyclopedia)Sitwell, English literary family, one of the most celebrated literary families of the 20th cent. Its members included Dame Edith Sitwell, 1887–1964, English poet and critic, Sir Osbert Sitwell, 1892...
Davies, William Henry(Encyclopedia)Davies, William Henry d´vs [key], 1871–1940, British poet, b. Wales. Leaving school at a young age, Davies lived for a number of years as a peddler and a beggar in the United States and England...
Tchelitchew, Pavel(Encyclopedia)Tchelitchew, Pavel pä´vl chl´chf [key], 1898–1957, Russian-American painter. His first commissions, ballet designs, were given him while he was living in Berlin (1921–23), whence he had...
Walton, Sir William Turner(Encyclopedia)Walton, Sir William Turner, 1902–83, English composer, b. Oldham. Walton studied at Oxford. One of his earliest works was a piano quartet (1918–19). In 1923, Façade, satirical poems by Edith Sitw...
Scarlatti, Alessandro(Encyclopedia)Scarlatti, Alessandro äls-sän´dr skärlät´t [key], 1660–1725, Italian composer. He may have studied with Carissimi in Rome, where his first opera was produced in 1679. In 1684 he went to ...
Liszt, Franz(Encyclopedia)Liszt, Franz fränts lst [key], 1811–86, Hungarian composer and pianist. Liszt was a revolutionary figure of romantic music and was acknowledged as the greatest pianist of his time. He made his de...
English literature(Encyclopedia)English literature, literature written in English since c.1450 by the inhabitants of the British Isles; it was during the 15th cent. that the English language acquired much of its modern form. For the...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-