140 results found
Kunitz, Stanley Jasspon(Encyclopedia)Kunitz, Stanley Jasspon kyoo´nts [key], 1905–2006, American poet, teacher, and editor, b. Worcester, Mass. He graduated from Harvard (B.A., 1926; M.A., 1927), worked as a journalist and editor,...
Stanley(Encyclopedia)Stanley, town (1991 pop. 1,557), capital of the Falkland Islands, S Atlantic Ocean, on East Falkland island. It is the main port and trading center of the islands. The name is sometimes written as Por...
Elkin, Stanley(Encyclopedia)Elkin, Stanley, 1930–95, American writer, b. New York City. An offbeat fiction writer, Elkin had a gift for black comedy, fantastic imagery, bizarre situations, and a kind of lyrical bleakness, all ...
Cohen, Stanley(Encyclopedia)Cohen, Stanley, 1922–2020, American biochemist, b. New York City, Ph.D. Univ. of Michigan, 1948. Cohen did his most important work at Washington Univ. with Rita Levi-Montalcini in the 1950s. Studyin...
Donen, Stanley(Encyclopedia)Donen, Stanley, 1924–2019, American film director, choreographer, and producer, b. Columbia, S.C. He is best known for directing some of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's finest musicals. In 1940 Donen danced i...
Stanley, James(Encyclopedia)Stanley, James: see Derby, James Stanley, 7th earl of.
Stanley, Thomas(Encyclopedia)Stanley, Thomas: see Derby, Thomas Stanley, 1st earl of.
Stanley Cup(Encyclopedia)Stanley Cup: see hockey, ice.
Stanley Falls(Encyclopedia)Stanley Falls: see Boyoma Falls.
Stanley Pool(Encyclopedia)Stanley Pool, Congo: see Pool Malebo.
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-