7 results found
Olympio, Sylvanus(Encyclopedia)Olympio, Sylvanus slvän´s lmp´ [key], 1902–63, African political leader, president of Togo from 1961 to 1963. He was active in trade before entering politics and helped bring about To...
Thayer, Sylvanus(Encyclopedia)Thayer, Sylvanus, 1785–1872, American soldier and educator, b. Braintree, Mass., grad. Dartmouth, 1807, and West Point, 1808. During the War of 1812 he served as an engineer, and afterward he was se...
Morley, Sylvanus Griswold(Encyclopedia)Morley, Sylvanus Griswold, 1883–1948, American archaeologist, b. Chester, Pa., grad. Harvard, 1908. A specialist in Middle American archaeology and Mayan heiroglyphs, Morley did fieldwork (1909–14...
Braintree(Encyclopedia)Braintree, town (1990 pop. 33,836), E Mass., a suburb of Boston; inc. 1640. Metal, rubber, and paper are among its manufactures. Braintree included Quincy (birthplace of John Adams and John Quincy Ada...
Togo(Encyclopedia)Togo, officially Togolese Republic, republic (2015 est. pop. 7,417,000), 21,622 sq mi (56,000 sq km), W Africa. It borders on the Gulf of Guinea in the south, on Ghana in the west, on Burkina Faso in ...
macaque(Encyclopedia)macaque mkäk´ [key], name for Old World monkeys of the genus Macaca, related to mangabeys, mandrills, and baboons. All but one of the 19 species are found in Asia from Afghanistan to Japan, the Ph...
United States Military Academy(Encyclopedia)United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y.; for training young men and women to be officers in the U.S. army; founded and opened in 1802. The original act provided that the Corps of Engineers...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-