372 results found
Ben Ali, Zine el-Abidine(Encyclopedia)Ben Ali, Zine el-Abidine z´nl abdn bn äl´ [key], 1936–2019, president of Tunisia (1987–2011). Educated in France and the United States, he entered the army and became ambassador to ...
Ali(Encyclopedia)Ali äl´ [key] (Ali ibn Abu Talib), 598?–661, 4th caliph (656–61). The debate over his right to the caliphate caused a major split in Islam into Sunni and Shiite branches, and he is regarded by...
Ben(Encyclopedia)Ben, in the Bible, Levite porter under David.
Essebsi, Beji Caid(Encyclopedia)Essebsi, Beji Caid bä´zh cä´d sb´s [key], 1926–2019, Tunisian political leader. A lawyer and ally of President Bourguiba, he held several posts in his and President and Ben Ali's gove...
Tunisia(Encyclopedia)Tunisia toon´zh, tyoo– [key], Fr. Tunisie, officially Republic of Tunisia, republic (2015 est. pop. 11,274,000), 63,378 sq mi (164,150 sq km), NW Africa. Occupying the eastern portion of th...
Bongo, Ali(Encyclopedia)Bongo, Ali: see under Bongo, Omar.
Hyder Ali(Encyclopedia)Hyder Ali: see Haidar Ali.
Sonni Ali(Encyclopedia)Sonni Ali: see Songhai.
Khamenei, Ali(Encyclopedia)Khamenei, Ali (Mohammad Ali Hoseyn Khamenei)mhämäd´ äl´ hsn´ khamn´ [key], 1939–, Iranian religious and political leader, b. Mashhad. A Shiite Islamic cleric who was the son of ...
Muhammad Ali(Encyclopedia)Muhammad Ali, 1769?–1849, pasha of Egypt after 1805. He was a common soldier who rose to leadership by his military skill and political acumen. In 1799 he commanded a Turkish army in an unsuccessful...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-