Synonyms of silent
- 1. silent, soundless, still, quiet (vs. noisy)
- usage: marked by absence of sound; "a silent house"; "soundless footsteps on the grass"; "the night was still"
- 2. mum, silent, uncommunicative (vs. communicative), incommunicative
- usage: failing to speak or communicate etc when expected to; "the witness remained silent"
- 3. silent, tacit, understood, implicit (vs. explicit), inexplicit
- usage: implied by or inferred from actions or statements; "gave silent consent"; "a tacit agreement"; "the understood provisos of a custody agreement"
- 4. silent, unsounded, inaudible (vs. audible), unhearable
- usage: not made to sound; "the silent `h' at the beginning of `honor'"; "in French certain letters are often unsounded"
- 5. silent, inaudible (vs. audible), unhearable
- usage: having a frequency below or above the range of human audibility; "a silent dog whistle"
- 6. dumb, mute, silent, inarticulate (vs. articulate), unarticulate
- usage: unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of silent (Dictionary)