Synonyms of sober
- 1. sober, change, alter, modify
- usage: cause to become sober; "A sobering thought"
- 2. sober up, sober, become, go, get
- usage: become more realistic; "After thinking about the potential consequences of his plan, he sobered up"
- 3. sober up, sober, become, go, get
- usage: become sober after excessive alcohol consumption; "Keep him in bed until he sobers up"
- 1. sober (vs. intoxicated), cold sober, stone-sober, drug-free, dry, teetotal, uninebriated, unintoxicated
- usage: not affected by a chemical substance (especially alcohol)
- 2. grave, sedate, sober, solemn, serious (vs. frivolous)
- usage: dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises; "a grave God-fearing man"; "a quiet sedate nature"; "as sober as a judge"; "a solemn promise"; "the judge was solemn as he pronounced sentence"
- 3. drab, sober, somber, sombre, colorless (vs. colorful), colourless
- usage: lacking brightness or color; dull; "drab faded curtains"; "sober Puritan grey"; "children in somber brown clothes"
- 4. unplayful (vs. playful), serious, sober
- usage: completely lacking in playfulness
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sober (Dictionary)