sober: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sō'bur), [key]
— adj., v. -er, -est,
- not intoxicated or drunk.
- habitually temperate, esp. in the use of liquor.
- quiet or sedate in demeanor, as persons.
- marked by seriousness, gravity, solemnity, etc., as of demeanor, speech, etc.: a sober occasion.
- subdued in tone, as color; not gay or showy, as clothes.
- free from excess, extravagance, or exaggeration: sober facts.
- showing self-control: sober restraint.
- sane or rational: a sober solution to the problem.
- to make or become sober: (often fol. by up).
- sober (Thesaurus)