Jeb Bush: Campaign Issues
Updated February 21, 2017 | Factmonster Staff
Where he stands
Jeb Bush, 2015
- Believes the Affordable Care Act is flawed and doesn't work
- Wants to change Medicaid from "defined benefit" to defined contribution
- Against physician-assisted suicide
- Wants to provide risk-adjusted insurance vouchers
- Said in Feb. 2015 that "you should vaccinate your children; over and out"
- Has said that mortgage bankers created the recession and they should resolve it
- Increased Florida's budget by 27% during his terms
- Supports constitutional balanced budget amendment
- Wants more bankruptcy reform and limitations, protect states' role in it.
- Privatization was his general philosophy while governor
- Believes social security benefits should come from private, faith-based companies.
- Wants to remove Intangibles Tax on stocks, bonds, and dividends because it "helps seniors and savers"
- Believes in letting states determine estate taxes
- Stated in Jan. 2015 that immigrants are "an engine of economic vitality"
- An advocate for illegal immigrants residency
- Supports reform that will make it easier to come to the U.S. legally
- Believes education reform is more critical than immigration reform
- Wants to split the cost of legal immigration between state and federal governments
- Approved one billion for environmental land purchases while governor
- Created new marine sanctuary to protect the Florida Keys
- While governor, he prosecuted gas stations for price gouging during hurricanes
- In July 2014, he said about global warming: "I'm a skeptic; I'm not a scientist"
- Believes drilling in Gulf or Mexico hurts tourism in Florida
- Approved $1.5 billion plan for restoring the Everglades
- Wants to eliminate automobile emissions testing
- Would set goal of 25% renewable energy by 2025
- Supported strengthening the Cuban embargo, not lifting it
- Believes the U.S. should be more aggressive with Russia and Ukraine
- Is in favor of economic cooperation with China
- Supports Israel in its battle against terrorism
- Lived in Venezuela for two years, majored in Latin American studies
- Believes the role in the world for the U.S. is to show military strength and moral clarity
- In favor of restricting abortions only to cases of incest, rape, and health
- Created "Choose Life" license plates for Florida
- Has blocked use of public funds for stem cell research
- Funded adoption counseling, not abortion counseling for Florida
- Said in Jan. 2015 that he respects civil unions and same-sex lifetime commitments
- Removed Confederate flag from Florida capitol in Feb. 2007
- More from Campaign 2016