Newt Gingrich: Campaign Issues
Updated February 21, 2017 | Factmonster Staff
Where he stands
Newt Gingrich Source: Gage Skidmore
- Gingrich believes that by privatizing the market, including Medicare, competition will lower prices. His plan would allow Americans to choose either a tax credit or deduction to buy private insurance.
- He opposes Obama's health care reform and wants to overturn it, saying it creates new taxes, regulations, and bureaucracies.
- Wants each state to establish a high risk pool to cover the uninsured.
- Allow all citizens, including those on Medicare and Medicaid, to set up health savings accounts.
- Would reform Medicaid by giving states the flexibility to customize their programs with a block-grant program.
- Gingrich wants the focus of healthcare to be prevention.
- Proposes moving from a paper system to an electronic one to eliminate fraud.
- Gingrich supports eliminating the minimum wage.
- He opposes the estate tax.
- Favors an optional 15% flat tax.
- He would insist on a balanced budget amendment and line item veto.
- Gingrich supports tax cuts for those with an annual income of less than $200,000, as well as for those over age 65.
- Renew the tax cuts signed into law by President George W. Bush.
- Lure businesses and investment to the U.S. by eliminating the capital gains tax, reducing the corporate income tax to 12.5%, and allowing businesses to expense 100% of new equipment.
- Said regulation is impeding job creation and he would repeal the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Community Reinvestment Act, and the Dodd-Frank Law; break up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac; replace the Environmental Protection Agency with an Environmental Solutions Agency; and modernize the Food and Drug Administration.
- Gingrich supports the deportation of immigrants with no family ties in the U.S.
- Believes children of illegal immigrants who were born in the U.S. have the right to remain in the country.
- Says the border needs to be secure.
- Would revamp the visa program.
- Thinks the U.S. needs a national energy plan to reduce the reliance on oil from the Middle East.
- Supports drilling for oil and natural gas in the U.S. and offshore. He has also called for ending the ban on oil shale development in the West.
- Would replace the EPA with the new Environmental Solutions Agency.
- Believes the Kyoto Treaty is bad for the environment and bad for America and has said the cap-and-trade system is ineffective in curbing global warming.
- Favors building new nuclear power plants.
- Supports the development of a hydrogen car and research into cleaner energy.
- Believes the U.S. has inadequately dealt with North Korea and Iran.
- Feels that the U.S. needs a definitive strategy in confronting radical Islamists.
- Has said that America's foreign policy must be to ensure our own survival and protect countries with similar values.
- Gingrich strongly opposes same-sex marriage and civil unions. He has called homosexuality a sin.
- He's opposed to same-sex couples adopting.
- Favors amending the constitution to protect the "traditional family."
- More from Campaign 2012