Minority Oscar Winners in Major Acting Categories
1. Hattie McDaniel 2. José Ferrer 3. Anthony Quinn 4. Rita Moreno 5. Sidney Poitier 6. Sacheen Littlefeather 7. Louis Gossett, Jr. 8. Whoopi Goldberg 9. Mercedes Ruehl 10. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 11. Benicio del Toro 12. Halle Berry & Denzel Washington 13. Jamie Foxx & Morgan Freeman 14. Forest Whitaker 15. Jennifer Hudson 16. Javier Bardem 17. Penelope Cruz 18. Mo'Nique 19. Octavia Spencer 20. Lupita Nyong'o
- Halle Berry and Denzel Washington
- Best Actress in a Lead Role for Monster's Ball, 2001
Best Actor in a Lead Role for Training Day, 2001
- Halle Berry and Denzel Washington became the first two African-American performers to win Oscars for leading roles in the same year. Washington became the second African-American to win Best Actor since Poitier in 1963. With her win, Berry was the first African-American woman to win Best Lead Actress.
- Photo source: AP Photo/Doug Mills