admit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ad-mit'), [key]
— v., -mit•ted, -mit•ting.
- to allow to enter; grant or afford entrance to: to admit a student to college.
- to give right or means of entrance to: This ticket admits two people.
- to permit to exercise a certain function or privilege: admitted to the bar.
- to permit; allow.
- to allow or concede as valid: to admit the force of an argument.
- to acknowledge; confess: He admitted his guilt.
- to grant in argument; concede: The fact is admitted.
- to have capacity for: This passage admits two abreast.
- to permit entrance; give access: This door admits to the garden.
- to grant opportunity or permission (usually fol. by of&hasp;): The contract admits of no other interpretation.
- admit (Thesaurus)