Meaning of basket
Pronunciation: (bas'kit, bä'skit), [key]
- a container made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- a container made of pieces of thin veneer, used for packing berries, vegetables, etc.
- the amount contained in a basket; a basketful: to pick a basket of apples.
- anything like a basket in shape or use: He never empties my wastepaper basket.
- any group of things or different things grouped as a unit; a package; package deal: You can't buy the single stock; you have to take the basket--all companies, stocks and bonds.
- the car or gondola suspended beneath a balloon, as for carrying passengers or scientific instruments into the atmosphere.
- an open net suspended from a metal rim attached to the backboard and through which the ball must pass in order for a player to score points.
- a score, counting two for a field goal and one for a free throw.
- Also calleda ring strapped to the base of a ski pole to limit penetration of the pole in the snow.
- . the male genitals, esp. when outlined by a tight-fitting garment.
- basket (Thesaurus)