buildup: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bild'up"), [key]
- a building up, as of military forces; increase in amount or number.
- a process of growth; strengthening; development: the buildup of heavy industry.
- an accumulation, as of a particular type of material: a buildup of salt deposits.
- an increase, as in potential, intensity, or pressure: A buildup of suspense began halfway through the movie.
- a progressive or sequential development: the buildup of helium atoms from hydrogen.
- praise or publicity designed to enhance a reputation or popularize someone or something: The studio spent $100,000 on the new star's buildup.
- a process of preparation designed to make possible the achievement of an ultimate objective: a lengthy buildup to a sales pitch.
- encouragement; a psychological lift: Every time I need a buildup, I look at her picture.
- buildup (Thesaurus)