Meaning of bypass
Pronunciation: (bī'pas", -päs"), [key]
— n., v., -passed -past -passed -past -pass&syling.
- a road enabling motorists to avoid a city or other heavy traffic points or to drive around an obstruction.
- a secondary pipe or other channel connected with a main passage, as for conducting a liquid or gas around a fixture, pipe, or appliance.
- shunt (def. 9).
- a surgical procedure in which a diseased or obstructed hollow organ is temporarily or permanently circumvented. Cf. coronary bypass, gastric bypass, heart-lung machine, intestinal bypass.
- to avoid (an obstruction, city, etc.) by following a bypass.
- to cause (fluid or gas) to follow a secondary pipe or bypass.
- to neglect to consult or to ignore the opinion or decision of: He bypassed the foreman and took his grievance straight to the owner.
- bypass (Thesaurus)