Meaning of coif
Pronunciation: (koif), [key]
- a hood-shaped cap, usually of white cloth and with extended sides, worn beneath a veil, as by nuns.
- any of various hoodlike caps, varying through the centuries in shape and purpose, worn by men and women.
- a cap similar to a skullcap, formerly worn by sergeants at law.
- a covering for the head and neck, made of leather, padded cloth, or mail.
- the rank or position of a sergeant at law.
- to cover or dress with or as with a coif.
Pronunciation: (kwäf, koif), [key]
— n., v.t.
- coiffure (defs. 1, 3).
- coif (Thesaurus)