female: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fē'māl), [key]
- a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.
- an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.
- a pistillate plant.
- of, pertaining to, or being a female animal or plant.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a female person; feminine: female suffrage; female charm.
- composed of females: a female readership.
- designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure that produces or contains elements requiring fertilization.
- (of seed plants) pistillate.
- being or having a recessed part into which a corresponding part fits:Cf. male (def. 5). a female plug.
- female (Thesaurus)