Meaning of freight
Pronunciation: (frāt), [key]
- goods, cargo, or lading transported for pay, whether by water, land, or air.
- the ordinary conveyance or means of transport of goods provided by common carriers (distinguished from express): Shipping by freight is less expensive.
- the charges, fee, or compensation paid for such transportation: We pay the freight.
- (esp. in Britain) the cargo, or any part of the cargo, of a vessel; merchandise transported by water.
- transportation of goods by water.
- cost or price, esp. when high: I'd like a larger house, but can't afford the freight.
- to load; burden: a story heavily freighted with private meaning.
- to load with goods or merchandise for transportation: It took all night to freight the ship.
- to transport as freight; send by freight.
- freight (Thesaurus)