invoke: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (in-vōk'), [key]
— -voked, -vok•ing.
- to call for with earnest desire; make supplication or pray for: to invoke God's mercy.
- to call on (a deity, Muse, etc.), as in prayer or supplication.
- to declare to be binding or in effect: to invoke the law; to invoke a veto.
- to appeal to, as for confirmation.
- to petition or call on for help or aid.
- to call forth or upon (a spirit) by incantation.
- to cause, call forth, or bring about.
- invoke (Thesaurus)