male: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (māl), [key]
- a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
- an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.
- a staminate plant.
- of, pertaining to, or being a male animal or plant.
- pertaining to or characteristic of a male person; masculine: a male voice.
- composed of males: a male choir.
- designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure producing or containing microspores.
- (of seed plants) staminate.
- made to fit into a corresponding open or recessed part:Cf.(def. 8). a male plug.
Pronunciation: (mä'lā, -lē), [key]
- a city in and the capital of the Maldives. 17,000.
- a combining form meaning “evil,” occurring in loanwords from Latin:Cf. malediction.
- male (Thesaurus)