Meaning of occult
Pronunciation: (u-kult', ok'ult), [key]
- of or pertaining to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies.
- beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or understanding; mysterious.
- secret; disclosed or communicated only to the initiated.
- hidden from view.
- (in early science) occult science.
- not apparent on mere inspection but discoverable by experimentation.
- of a nature not understood, as physical qualities.
- dealing with such qualities; experimental:occult science.
- present in amounts too small to be visible: a chemical test to detect occult blood in the stool.
- the supernatural or supernatural agencies and affairs considered as a whole (usually prec. by the).
- occult studies or sciences (usually prec. by the).
- to block or shut off (an object) from view; hide.
- to hide (a celestial body) by occultation.
- to become hidden or shut off from view.
- occult (Thesaurus)