payoff: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pā'ôf", -of"), [key]
- the payment of a salary, debt, wager, etc.
- the time at which such payment is made.
- the consequence, outcome, or final sequence in a series of events, actions, or circumstances: The payoff was when they fired him.
- the climax of something, esp. a story or joke.
- a settlement or reckoning, as in retribution or reward.
- a bribe.
- yielding results, esp. rewarding or decisive results: The payoff play was the long pass into the end zone.
- payoff (Thesaurus)