Meaning of reply
Pronunciation: (ri-plī'), [key]
— v., n., pl. -plied, -ply•ing, -plies.
- to make answer in words or writing; answer; respond: to reply to a question.
- to respond by some action, performance, etc.: to reply to the enemy's fire.
- to return a sound; echo; resound.
- to answer a defendant's plea.
- to return as an answer (usually used in a negative combination or fol. by a clause with that): Not a syllable did he reply. He replied that no one would go.
- an answer or response in words or writing.
- a response made by some action, performance, etc.
- reply (Thesaurus)