Meaning of saint
Pronunciation: (sānt), [key]
- any of certain persons of exceptional holiness of life, formally recognized as such by the Christian Church, esp. by canonization.
- a person of great holiness, virtue, or benevolence.
- a founder, sponsor, or patron, as of a movement or organization.
- (in certain religious groups) a designation applied by the members to themselves.
- to enroll formally among the saints recognized by the Church.
- to give the name of saint to; reckon as a saint.
- For entries beginning with this word, see also
- saint (Thesaurus)