soap: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sōp), [key]
- a substance used for washing and cleansing purposes, usually made by treating a fat with an alkali, as sodium or potassium hydroxide, and consisting chiefly of the sodium or potassium salts of the acids contained in the fat.
- any metallic salt of an acid derived from a fat.
- money, esp. as used for bribery in politics.
- no go: He wanted me to vote for him, but I told him no soap.
- to rub, cover, lather, or treat with soap.
- soap (Thesaurus)