sponsor: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spon'sur), [key]
- a person who vouches or is responsible for a person or thing.
- a person, firm, organization, etc., that finances and buys the time to broadcast a radio or television program so as to advertise a product, a political party, etc.
- a person who makes a pledge or promise on behalf of another.
- a person who answers for an infant at baptism, making the required professions and assuming responsibility for the child's religious upbringing; godfather or godmother.
- to act as sponsor for; promise, vouch, or answer for.
- sponsor (Thesaurus)