stopper: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (stop'ur), [key]
- a person or thing that stops.
- a plug, cork, bung, or other piece for closing a bottle, tube, drain, or the like.
- something or someone that commands attention, as an unusual window display or a flamboyant person.
- a card in a suit that prevents the successive taking of all tricks in the suit by the opponents.
- a formidably and consistently effective pitcher counted on to win, as a team's best starting pitcher or a superior reliever often called on to preserve a victory; pitching ace.
- to close, secure, or fit with a stopper.
- stopper (Thesaurus)