Meaning of tartar
- calculus (def. 3).
- the deposit from wines, potassium bitartrate.
- the intermediate product of cream of tartar, obtained from the crude form, argol.
- a member of any of the various tribes, chiefly Mongolian and Turkish, who, originally under the leadership of Genghis Khan, overran Asia and much of eastern Europe in the Middle Ages.
- a member of the descendants of this people variously intermingled with other peoples and tribes, now inhabiting parts of the European and W and central Asian Russian Federation.
- Tatar (defs. 1–3).
- (often l.c.) a savage, intractable person.
- (often l.c.) an ill-tempered person.
- to deal with someone or something that proves unexpectedly troublesome or powerful.
- of or pertaining to a Tartar or Tartars; Tartarian.
- Tatar (def. 5).
— n. Obs.
- tartar (Thesaurus)