ticket: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tik'it), [key]
- a slip, usually of paper or cardboard, serving as evidence that the holder has paid a fare or admission or is entitled to some service, right, or the like: a railroad ticket; a theater ticket.
- a summons issued for a traffic or parking violation.
- a written or printed slip of paper, cardboard, etc., affixed to something to indicate its nature, price, or the like; label or tag.
- a slate of candidates nominated by a particular party or faction and running together in an election.
- the license of a ship's officer or of an aviation pilot.
- a preliminary recording of transactions prior to their entry in more permanent books of account.
- the proper or advisable thing: That's the ticket! Warm milk and toast is just the ticket for you.
- a placard.
- a short note, notice, or memorandum.
- to be conceited.
- to attach a ticket to; distinguish by means of a ticket; label.
- to furnish with a ticket, as on the railroad.
- to serve with a summons for a traffic or parking violation.
- to attach such a summons to: to ticket illegally parked cars.
- ticket (Thesaurus)