Meaning of toggle
Pronunciation: (tog'ul), [key]
— n., v., -gled, -gling.
- a pin, bolt, or rod placed transversely through a chain, an eye or loop in a rope, etc., as to bind it temporarily to another chain or rope similarly treated.
- a toggle joint, or a device having one.
- an ornamental, rod-shaped button for inserting into a large buttonhole, loop, or frog, used esp. on sports clothes.
- Also calledtog&prim;gle rail&sec;.a wooden batten across the width of a flat, for strengthening the frame.
- Also calledtog&prim;gle i&sec;ron.a metal device for fastening a toggle rail to a frame.
- to furnish with a toggle.
- to bind or fasten with a toggle.
- to turn, twist, or manipulate a toggle switch; dial or turn the switch of (an appliance): He toggled the TV between the baseball game and the news.
- toggle (Thesaurus)