Meaning of visitation
Pronunciation: (viz"i-tā'shun), [key]
- the act of visiting.
- a formal visit, as one permitted by a court's granting of visitation rights or by parents invited to a school to observe the work of students.
- a visit for the purpose of making an official examination or inspection, as of a bishop to a diocese.
- (usually cap.) the visit of the Virgin Mary to her cousin Elizabeth. Luke 1:36–56.
- (cap.) a church festival, held on July 2, in commemoration of this visit.
- the administration of comfort or aid, or of affliction or punishment: a visitation of the plague.
- an affliction or punishment, as from God.
- the appearance or coming of a supernatural influence or spirit.
- visitation (Thesaurus)