whisker: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (hwis'kur, wis'-), [key]
- a beard.
- a single hair of the beard.
- a mustache.
- one of the long, stiff, bristly hairs growing about the mouth of certain animals, as the cat or rat; vibrissa.
- Also calledany spar for extending the clew or clews of a sail so that it can catch more wind.
- a thin filament of a crystal, usually several millimeters long and one to two microns in diameter, having unusually great strength.
- by the narrowest margin: She won the race by a whisker.
- whisker (Thesaurus)