witness: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (wit'nis), [key]
- to see, hear, or know by personal presence and perception: to witness an accident.
- to be present at (an occurrence) as a formal witness, spectator, bystander, etc.: She witnessed our wedding.
- to bear witness to; testify to; give or afford evidence of.
- to attest by one's signature: He witnessed her will.
- to bear witness; testify; give or afford evidence.
- an individual who, being present, personally sees or perceives a thing; a beholder, spectator, or eyewitness.
- a person or thing that affords evidence.
- a person who gives testimony, as in a court of law.
- a person who signs a document attesting the genuineness of its execution.
- testimony or evidence: to bear witness to her suffering.
- (cap.) a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses.
- witness (Thesaurus)