Meaning of untouchable
Pronunciation: (un-tuch'u-bul), [key]
- that may not be touched; of a nature such that it cannot be touched; not palpable; intangible.
- too distant to be touched.
- vile or loathsome to the touch.
- beyond criticism, control, or suspicion: Modern writers consider no subject untouchable.
- a member of a lower caste in India whose touch is believed to defile a high-caste Hindu; Harijan.
- a person who is beyond reproach as to honesty, diligence, etc.
- a person disregarded or shunned by society or a particular group; social outcast: political untouchables.
- a person or thing considered inviolable or beyond criticism: such untouchables as Social Security in the federal budget.
- untouchable (Thesaurus)