Top News Stories from 1943
- Churchill and Roosevelt hold the Casablanca Conference.
- Mussolini is deposed and placed under arrest (July).
President: Franklin D Roosevelt
Vice President: Henry A. Wallace
Population: 136,739,353More U.S. Statistics...
- President freezes prices, salaries, and wages to prevent inflation.
- Withholding tax on wages introduced. Background: History of the Income Tax in the United States
- The Pentagon is completed and becomes the largest office building in the world.
- The Chinese Exclusion Acts of 1882 and 1902 are repealed permitting immigration and naturalization of Chinese.
Federal spending: $78.56 billion
Federal debt $142.7 billion
Consumer Price Index: $17.3
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
World SeriesNY Yankees d. St. Louis Cardinals (4-1)
Stanley CupDetroit d. Boston
Kentucky Derby ChampionCount Fleet
NCAA Basketball ChampionshipWyoming d. Georgetown
NCAA Football ChampionsNotre Dame (9-1-0)
- Rodgers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma! opens and changes American musical theater by combining entertainment and serious subjects. Agnes de Mille choreographs the musical, capturing the essence of American folk dance.
- Radio classic Amos 'n' Andy is canceled after 15 years and more than 4,000 consecutive shows.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Georg Hevesy De Heves (Hungary), for work on use of isotopes as indicators
Physics: Otto Stern (US), for detection of magnetic momentum of protons
Physiology or Medicine: Henrik Dam (Denmark) and Edward A. Doisy (US), for analysis of vitamin KMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...